FreeType is a freely available software library to render fonts. It is written in C, designed to be small, efficient, highly customizable, and portable while capable of producing high-quality output (glyph images) of most vector and bitmap font formats.
2.10.115 Jul 2019 12:49
A new maintenance release, fixing bytecode hinting of OpenType variation fonts and cmap processing of PCF fonts, among other things. Check the list of changes for more fixes
2.10.024 Mar 2019 11:13
This release brings one notable feature, namely support for color-layered outline glyphs (for example, scalable emoji glyphs). Additionally, the API reference has been completely overhauled and modernized, as already announced.
2.712 Sep 2016 03:41
I. IMPORTANT CHANGES - As announced earlier, the 2.7.x series now uses the new subpixel hinting mode as the default, emulating a modern version of ClearType.
This change inevitably leads to different rendering results, and you might change the `TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING' configuration option to adapt it to your taste (or use the new `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' environment variable). See the corresponding entry below for version 2.6.4, which gives more information.
- A new option `FT_CONFIG_OPTION_ENVIRONMENT_PROPERTIES' has been introduced. If set (which is the default), an environment variable `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' can be used to control driver properties. This allows to select, say, the subpixel hinting mode at runtime for a given application. See file `ftoption.h' for more.
II. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- After loading a named instance of a GX variation font, the `face_index' value in the returned `FT_Face' structure now correctly holds the named instance index in the upper 16bits as documented.
- A new macro `FT_IS_NAMED_INSTANCE' to test whether a given face is a named instance.
- More fixes to GX font handling.
- Apple's `GETVARIATION' bytecode operator (needed for GX variation font support) has been implemented.
- Another round of fuzzer fixes, mainly to reject invalid fonts faster.
- Handling of raw CID fonts was broken (bug introduced in version 2.6.4).
- The smooth rasterizer has been streamlined to make it faster by approx. 20 .
- The `ftgrid' demo program now understands command line option `-d' to give start-up design coordinates.
- The `ftdump' demo program has a new command line option `-p' to dump TrueType bytecode instructions.