jEdit is a programmer's text editor written in Java. It uses the Swing toolkit for the GUI and can be configured as a rather powerful IDE through the use of its plugin architecture.
5.5.013 Apr 2018 16:25
* Untitled buffers are now also autosaved
* Autosave files can be stored inside a certain directory like
backup files instead of besides the original file
* jEdit's launcher and core have both been tested with Java 9.
Some of the plugins (e.g. Lucene) may not yet be compatible, but at least the core works fine on it now
5.4.021 Mar 2017 23:37
* Use of Java 1.8
* Use of a new XML format for Plugin Manager, and proper following of redirects, resulting in a much improved plugin install experience
* New Printing, updated for current versions of Java