Synfig Studio is a 2D animation software. It allows for professional but uncomplicated film-quality animations, using vector graphics and bitmap artwork. Synfig doesn't require frame-by frame editing, but allows simple vector moving and shift editing, provides layer-based scenes, independent of target resolutions, brings smooth motion with high dynamic-range imaging, pentablet-aware tools, path-based gradients, filters, distortions, transformations, fractal views and other tools. It's also available cross-platform.
1.2.211 Apr 2019 04:36
* Remove cairo-rendering from preview dialog (issue #370). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
* Fix issue with interface elements consuming too much space on Windows (issue #348). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
* Auto-recovery now works again (issue #363). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
* Fix Low-Res rendering mode (issue #401). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
* Allow to zoom canvas by holding Ctrl and middle mouse button. Thanks to Alyssa Rosenzweig.
* New feature: Draft rendering mode (issue #409). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
* Fix disconnect of Transformation Parameter - it was impossible to disconnect linked (as opposed to converted) nodes of transformation type using "disconnect" action (issue #438). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
* Fix color wheel being stuck to red on zero saturation (issue #452). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
* New feature: Filter Groups (issue #462). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
* Implemented correct sorting in Sets Panel (issue #372). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
* Fixed crash when user press Esc key during the rotation of the object (issue #470). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Fixed crash with Spline Tool tangent menu (issue #485). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Fix crash on attempt to run plugin (issue #502). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Fixed error preventing user to move keyframe at certain circumstances (issue #503). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Automatically select new layer when image is imported (issue #368). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Allow to rename layers with F2 key (issue #465). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Allow to delete layers by pressing Del key. Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* New feature: Live image reloading (issue #513). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
* Keyframe widget now available in Curves Panel (issues #504, #505). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
1.2.112 Sep 2017 06:25
Basic support for CMake build system. Thanks to Caryoscelus.
Size of dock area drop buttons for Gtk = 3.20 (). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
Support for graphic tablets in Windows version (). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Initial value of quality in Preview Dialog now independent from current zoom level and set to 1.0 by default. Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Crash of Skeleton plugin (). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
: filename with international characters not saved in Recent Files menu. Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Crash with XP-Pen G540 tablet ().
FFmpeg not found error in Linux AppImages ().
JACK support is now available for Linux AppImages ().
1.2.011 Jan 2017 02:05
Completely rewritten render engine: The new rendering engine is build with optimization in mind and have advanced task-based architecture. Current version provides significant speedup for bitmap and vector elements, full multithreading and also reduces memory usage.
Lipsync features: Green light for talking characters in your animation! As result of our work on Morevna Episode 3, this version of Synfig got an integration with Papagayo lipsync software.
New layer: Free Time allows to animate time value (useful for making re-timing, slow-mo effect, etc). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
New converter: Animated File allows to read waypoints from external files (only PGO files supported right now). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Completely reworked preferences dialogue. Thanks to Yu Chen (concept), Jerome Blanchi (implementation) and Caryoscelus (fixes).
Utilize multiple threads when rendering via CLI. Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Time Loop Layer, Free Time Layer and Stroboscope Layer placed into separate Time category. Thanks to Caryoscelus.
Switch Group now displays ghost elements for missing switch elements. Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Split and merged tangents now displayed in different way. Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
Selecting handle on the workarea now highlights the corresponding parameter in the Parameters Panel. Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
Alt+0 used to show/hide all handles. Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
Synfig code now compatible with C++11 (see issue #904). Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
Tooltips for group transformation widget. Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
Fixed behavior of Insert Item action for Splines (it should be different from Insert item Keep shape action). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
Fix crash when manipulating with guides. Alow to remove guides by dragging them back to onto rulers. Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
1.0.209 Oct 2015 03:15
Dropdown list for Switch Group to choose active layer. Thanks to Max May.
Allow to load Gimp Palette files (.gpl) in Palette Editor Panel (). Thanks to Tony (aka BobSynfig).
crash on linking regular vertex and width point center (). Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
crash of "Link to Spline" operation when trying to link vertex to the spline it belongs to (). Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
The "Add" convert type now supports reverse manipulations for Real and Angle values.
Rendering optimizations (every workarea update is faster by 50ms now).
Forbid creating recursive (looped) connections for parameters (). Thanks to Jerome Blanchi.
1.0.121 Jul 2015 03:15
Fix switching bone parent.
Interactively highlight handles during bouding box selection.
Update icons for "New", "Open", "Save/As/All" and "Undo/Redo".
Keyframes widget: Double click opens keyframe properties dialog box.
Keyframe properties dialog: Show keyframe description and active status.
1.0.027 Apr 2015 02:00
UI migrated from Gtk2 to Gtk3.
Reworked Toolbox and Tool Options Panel.
Allow to select interface language via preferences.
New transformation widget for Group Layer.
"Link to Bone" action: Allows to link Group Layers to Bones.
"Link to Skeleton" action: Allows automatically to link Spline vertices to the Skeleton (based on the bone Widths).
New Layer: Skeleton Distortion.
Z-Range feature for Group Layer: Hides all child layers with Z-Depth values outside of specified range.
New file format (SFG) which can store embed data.
All linked images are packed into single file when saving as SFG.
Allow to embed/extract images.
New Switch Group layer.
Brush Tool: Allows to paint on bitmaps with MyPaint brushes.
"Add New Frame" action.
Sound: Timeline can be synchronized with global JACK transport.
Sound: Integrate MLT framework for sound Playback.
New layer: Sound Layer.
Allow to modify animated parameters when Animation Mode is off (shift operation applied).
Improved Spline Tangents: Now it is possible to split angle or radius independently.
Now it is possible to insert new vertex into spline without distorting its shape.
Keyframe widget improvements: tooltips, context menus, selection synchronized with Keyframes Panel.
MetaData Panel improvements: Allow to change Guides and Grid colors.
HSV color wheel in the color selection dialog.
Improved spritesheet export.
New tool: Cutout.